Sharing Music And Opinions Because Its Fun

Post your thoughts!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Melancholy Pop Perfection

Gorillaz - On Melancholy Hill


This song off of Gorillaz' latest (and supposedly last) album is much less complex than the rest of the CD. The same 80's synth chords pulse through the entire song, yet the contrast between the care-free music and the emotionally loaded lyrics stops me in my tracks. An inner battle between lonely feelings of sadness and a therapeutic love for another person takes place throughout the entire song. When Damon Albarn sings "If you can't get what you want / then you come with me" it manages to make feelings of melancholy sound not that bad--so long as you have someone to share your misery with, up on a hill.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me give the album a second listen-through. First time through I have to say I wasn't enthused, but I'm appreciating it more and more. Even "Stylo" is not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not Bad? It's like a hip-hop trance to me...

    thanks for commenting, bro. It makes me feel validated

    ReplyDelete