Sharing Music And Opinions Because Its Fun

Post your thoughts!

Friday, February 19, 2010

A Song Dominating My Life - These Days

I'm sure this has happened to you before. You have never heard of a song, totally unaware of its existence, and then the day you first hear it you begin to hear it EVERYWHERE.


For me, it all began last night. I was lucky enough to get to see St. Vincent play last night at the Metro, and at one point in her set, she gave a long introduction about the next song she was going to play, how it is one of her favorites of all-time--she then clarified that it was written by somebody else and she is not that ego maniacal. The song was "These Days" by Nico (originally by Jackson Browne, however) and it was the saddest, sweetest thing I have heard in I can't remember how long. The song tells the story of someone defeated by troubled times, completely unsure of what to do next, and St. Vincent brought the house down with it.



So tonight I am sitting and watching "The Royal Tenenbaums" for the first time in a while, and in this beautiful slow-motion scene where Margot (Gwenneth Paltrow's character) is getting off a bus, guess what song I hear? "These Days" is playing, and I just thought OF COURSE IT IS. The song perfectly fits so much of what that movie is about, especially in the final lines of the song.

"Don't confront me with my failures/I haven't forgotten them."

And the excitement only continues. The line "don't confront me with my failures." is also included in one my favorite songs from last year, "Two Doves" by the Dirty Projectors. The Dirty Projectors clearly pay homage to Nico with their song, which sounds similar in its finger-picking style as well.

Nico - These Days
Dirty Projectors - Two Doves

So I'm going to bed tonight feeling far more culturally knowledgeable. Always Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment